Monday, May 28, 2012

Refurbished Furniture

I really wished I would have taken a before picture, before I started.  

This was my first attempt at refurbishing furniture.  I was very happy with the way it turned out.  I hope  this helps with any refurbishing projects you might have.  

I had this TV stand that was a hand-me-down.  It's made from a type particle board and it was too short for my liking.  I've searched for a new piece but I couldn't find anything I liked for under $400.  I figured I would go ahead and try my best to bring this TV stand to life and give it a makeover.  
Here I go...

This is the stand when I took the doors and legs off.  It's on it's back and ready for sanding.  

Sanding was easy because the furniture was particle board and it sanded quickly!  I used my palm sander for most of the sanded areas.  

Here are the legs that I took off of the TV stand and the new legs I was putting on.  
Big difference in height. 
The original legs were attached with small particle board squares.  These were not strong enough to attach the new legs so I had to cut new wooden blocks.  

I actually had some leftover paint from another project that I used.  
I painted two coats.
 Notice- I didn't sand the inside of the cabinets.  I figured the inside would be stacked with DVDs and the doors would hide the difference.  It saved time and sanding.  


After painting and drying I added a polyurethane clear satin spray.  After that dried I sanded with a light grain steel wool and sprayed another layer of polyurethane.  

I used the original hardware.

Materials and price:
paint (already had- free)
new legs (4 x $11)
polyurethane ($8)
steel wool (already had- free)

Project completed at the total cost of $52

I was very happy with my results! 


4 comments:

  1. Hi, came across your blog post on google. I was just wondering how long you sanded for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Since the piece was not "real" wood, it was particle board or pressed wood, it did not take me long at all. I sanded for about an hour. I used a palm sander but if you are looking to sand something fast, look into using a belt sander. The part that takes the longest is sanding down corners or areas that the sander cannot reach. For places like this you'll need to do it by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love what you did! What color and brand paint did you use?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What color paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete