Friday, July 27, 2012

Window Painting: An octopus


A while back I purchased an old window frame hoping that one day I would find something cool to do with it.  I purchased the frame at an antique store.  There was a nice selection of windows of all sizes.  I purchased mine for $8.

I've seen people paint on windows and I wanted to try it.  The tricky part is you have to paint backwards!  Basically you have to figure out the layers of colors and start from the top layer and work backwards.  I only used 2 colors so this was not difficult.

First I had to clean my frame.  These frames are usually stored in garages or outside.  I found 4 spiders! I used wipes and window cleaner.  I had to be gentle so that I wouldn't chip more paint off.  I liked to weathered look so I didn't want to paint the frame.  


Next I found a picture that I wanted to paint.  I put it into 3 sections on the computer so  would have an idea of proportion.  If I tried to free-hand there was a good chance I would screw up!

Here is my picture I chose to copy






My picture wasn't square so I had to squeeze it into a square shape then divide it into thirds. 
I am not an artist.  So here is my secret...
I used a dry erase marker!  

You can draw anything and wipe it away if you don't like it. 


After I completed my marker drawing (on the front side) I was ready to paint (on the back side)

I used 2 types of brushes- a small brush for the lines and a sponge brush for filling in the larger areas. 


I started painting on the backside of the frame. I painted the outline of my picture first.  I used black... then I changed my mind.


I decided to start over.  Scraping the paint off was easy. I used a wet sponge and paint scraper.  Came off quickly. 



I changed to white.



Complete!  Super easy!








1 comment: